10 Things You Should Know About Travelling with Pets
With the world becoming a more and more pet friendly place, itβs now easier than ever to travel with your pets. All it takes is some prep work on your part and you can be frolicking on the beach with Fido in no time!
The following documents may be required:
- Rabies vaccination – Check with your airline for their specific requirements well in advance of your departure date.
- Certificate of Veterinary Inspection – This is essentially a signed document from a vet stating that your animal has been checked for diseases and overall health. These certificates are valid for specific time frames so plan ahead!
- Acclimation Certificate – This is a document about hot and cold weather extremes. Animals who are not used to extreme cold can sometimes be harmed by sudden changes; talk to your airline to establish whether or not you need one.
- Confirmation of Feeding – This may be required to outline all food & water consumed before the flight.
- Live Animal Checklist β Essentially an instruction sheet for the airline handlers for any imperative information they need to know.
- Tranquilizer Consent Forms β These are provided by a veterinarian.
- Pet Carriers β Nearly all airlines require hard sided carriers that allow the animal to turn around, lie down and stand all the way up in their natural stance. Sometimes they can even fit underneath the seat in front of you! Food & water must also be present, usually attached to the inside of the carrier. Itβs common protocol that animals are not allowed out of the carrier during the flight.
- Carry On – Some airlines allow pets in the cabin as carry on items and others only allow them in the cargo area. Always check with your airline to find out how they work.
- Reservations β Fees can start as low as $50 and go upward to $150, with additional fees for international travel or heavy animals.
- Age Limits β Puppies & kittens are normally required to be a minimum of 8 weeks old before being granted travel permission.
Vancouver Extended Stay’s suites are pet friendly. Contact us today to find our more.